What is the Forensic Edition?
The Forensic Edition is meant for those doing forensic, investigative, eDiscovery, or data recovery work. The Forensic Edition is licensed per user, not per machine, so a licensed investigator can use the Forensic Edition license on multiple computers.
The Personal Edition inserts the header “X-Converted-By: Emailchemy, Licensed to <name>” into every email processed. These inserted headers often make the messages unusable for case-building or public archival, so the Forensic Edition lets you exclude them.
Forensic Edition differences from the Personal Edition are:
- Legal permission to use Emailchemy beyond limitations of Personal Edition license
- Dongle-based license keys to make working across several computers faster, easier
- More complete conversion logging in standard syslog format
- MD5 checksums of source files before and after conversion to prove source data was not changed
- Preserve original date strings — i.e. turn off normalization of dates (recommended only for visual inspection, since “raw” dates are often not reformatted to RFC specifications)
- Turn off X-Converted-By header field that is inserted in every email by the Personal Edition
- Detailed trace information can be added to X-Converted-By header field, showing details of conversion (date of conversion, original file name, file format, logged in user and workstation)
- Export and save conversion settings to a file (and import from these files)
- Embedded IMAP server allows connections from anywhere for easy data access
- Turn off strict RFC-2822 parsing for better handling of data extracted using other forensic and data recovery tools
- Extract all IPM objects from Outlook PST files
- Extract partially-downloaded message fragments from Outlook Mac